Directions for Preparing Audition Videos and Posting to YouTube
WHEN RECORDING: BEFORE SENDING IN YOUR VIDEO/APPLICATION:
Is there sound?
Is there a picture?
Are the notes & rhythms correct?
Is the solo played without stopping?
BEFORE SENDING IN YOUR VIDEO/APPLICATION:
Directions for Posting Audition Videos to YouTube
If you do not yet have a YouTube account, you will need to create one, starting with Part A below.
If you already have a YouTube account, begin with Part B.
Part A: Create a YouTube Account:
- Go to YouTube.com
- Click “Sign In” in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
- If you have a gmail account for your email, the username and password are the same as Google/gmail and YouTube are under the same account.
- If you don’t have a Google/gmail account click on “Create an Account” in the center of the page. Follow the instructions to create your account.
- Once your account has been created, click “Go to YouTube” and you will be signed in.
- You can view your profile by clicking on the small person icon in the upper right hand corner. You are ready to proced to Part B.
Part B: Upload a Video:
- Go to YouTube.com and log in (if you are not already)
- Click on “Upload” in the upper right hand corner of the page.
- A screen will show up that has a large arrow and says “Select files to upload”
- Before choosing a file, click below on the small box and arrow that says “public”. Three options will drop down and you want to select “unlisted”. This is very important because it makes the videos you upload completely private unless you send someone the link to them. “Unlisted” videos will not be available for viewing by the public.
- Click on the large arrow to select a video from your computer’s hard drive, or from a camera device connected to your computer.
- Once the video has been selected YouTube shows the percentage of the video that has loaded and the screen will tell you “10 minutes remaining”. Uploading and later processing the videos can take a while so plan ahead to have time to wait for this process to finish.
- While the video loads, in the first small box, delete the automatic file name and type in the video title as follows:
last, first name of the student, the number of the video and the total number of videos uploaded for each student.
(Example: “Smith, John 1 of 2 total videos.”)
- In the “Description” box, type:
student’s last name, first name, title of the piece, composer of the piece, date of the recording, reason for which you are submitting a video
(Example: “Smith, John, Minuet, Bach, 4/1/16, Solo Honors Recital Audition 2016”)
- Double check the right side of the page that your video is “Unlisted” so only people with the link can view your video.
- Once the upload is complete, click the “Done” button on the righthand side of the screen. Wait for YouTube to finish processing your video (this may take a while)
- When your video has completed processing, click on the URL address listed for your video. The URL will be shown in blue text as a link on the page your video has uploaded to. Copy and paste the URL address onto the form you submit to the Colorado Suzuki Institute.